Saturday, November 28, 2009

The First Christmas

As I sit and write these words the memory of that Christmas comes back as if it happened just last week. It was Rose and I ‘s first Christmas together as a married couple, not long since my change. I was still new to the vampire ways and slipped up and made mistakes. It was two weeks before our Christmas when I slipped up and made one of these mistakes and caused the whole family to have to move. I felt terrible that they once again were having to redo their lives because of me. I especially felt bad for Rose, I knew she had become fond of the place we were living and having to move had upset her.
That Christmas Eve I was feeling down so I decided to have a talk with Carlisle about everything. Being the loving father he is, he offered me words of advice and reassured me that people make mistakes. He offered a hug and promised that him and Esme would love me no matter how many times I screwed up which resulted in a laugh from me. The protective side of Rose came out in me and I blurted out that maybe it would be better for Rose though if I left. That maybe her life would be easier if I was not around causing trouble for them an her. I spoke the words at the wrong time because Esme was walking in as I let the last word loose and she went all mother hen on me. She blocked the door and told me that it wouldn’t make anyone’s lives easier if I left especially not Rose’s. That she knew how Rose felt for me and no matter what would always be there by my side. Her words struck my hard as stone heart and I knew it was the truth. I apologized once again for the move and they both said no apologies were needed.
Christmas morning came and my angel was dressed in a Mrs. Clause outfit being all cheerful with me. We had exchanged gifts when I looked up and felt the urge to apologize to her for everything. I nearly had a few words out when she pressed her finger to my lips and said shush. “Emmett Dale McCarty you have nothing to apologize for. You are my husband and are always forgiven.” I knew then that our love could survive any hardship. At that time Rose was still letting me into her world and those few words were the best Christmas gift ever. The rest of the day we spent together and with the family. We actually listened to Christmas music and sat around listening to Edward play Oh Holy night on the piano. My first Christmas with my new family and it was the best. I cannot wait for this Christmas when we marry again.

2 comments:

Picture This! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rosalie Hale said...

I'm smiling right now thinking of that day, as I said then and will now- you will always be forgiven by me, no matter what wrong you commit. I can't wait til the 19th, love you xox