Sunday, November 29, 2009

Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.

Under the foray that is my wedding planning brings back fond memories for me of my first wedding. Back then it was much simpler than latter weddings, perhaps due to the small size of our family at that point. It was the fall of 1936 and we had settled in the town of Hoquiam, Washington. The country was still feeling the aftermath of the depression and a solemn feeling hung in the air.

Emmett had been in our family a little over 18 months at that point in time and he had an effect on all of us, myself being the most obvious. He had pulled me somewhat from the dark depression that hungover me regarding my own change- his energy being oddly what I needed and me, being what he needed, someone to tell him when enough was enough. The speed of our courtship worried the rest of the family; he had been with us just over a year when he proposed on what would have been my 21st birthday. The ring was simple, compared to my first one but the thought and care from whom this one came from meant so much more to me than diamonds and jewels. As we were both still regarded as newborns, Emmett especially, we were told any wedding service would have to wait till he was ready to be around a priest or minister for a prolonged period. But not wanting to wait any longer than we had to, we came up with an idea a much more personal one, to ask Carlisle to marry us. That way the service would be exclusively family only, once we had his blessing and approval we began to prepare for a service in our home.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

It was on a rare trip into town with Esme that I spotted the dress I wanted to become Mrs McCarty in; it was a simple gown, not lavished with pearls and finery, instead it consisted of white silk with a lace overlay and a simple pink sash around the waist. Going against the fashion of the time I decided to opt out of wearing a veil, instead choosing to wear a pair of vintage hair combs that had been in the window of the local pawn store. I had got my something old and something new sorted now for the wedding, and was just missing my something borrowed and something blue. These came courtesy of Esme, a pair of sapphire earrings to compliment my dress.

Soon the summer months of our engagement had passed into the rich warm colours of fall and the day of the wedding arrived. As I sat in front of the mirror, adjusting my simple up-do for the fourth time the realisation hit me. I was actually going to be married; it was no longer a fantasy in my mind. Foolish doubts began to fill my mind, nerves finally getting to me, what if I disappointed Emmett, what if my old insecurities returned? But before I could even scold my own stupidity there was a knock at the door to say the others were ready. Checking my appearance over for the last time I left the room, ready to become Mrs McCarty.

The service was simple, held in what was our living room at the time, Esme and Edward as witnesses and Carlisle marrying Emmett and I. As I descended the wooden staircase I was greeted by the sight of my Love in his best suit grinning up at me. I have could have blushed I would have been scarlet at this point, I joined him in front of Carlisle, taking his hand in mine. After exchanging our vows we exchanged rings, both deciding on simple gold bands before having our first kiss as man and wife. After pulling away from the kiss I remember smiling up at my Husband, yes Husband, I could finally say that, before Edward and Esme came to congratulate us. Our reception, if you could call it that was quaint, us sharing our first dance on the patio outside the house, the piano providing the music. I forgot about the rest of the family around us and focused solely on my Darling Emmett, knowing I’d found my forever.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

congratulations, you made me cry, not kidding either :))

homesweet_forks said...

sorry I'm the anonymous comment, this account identity thing stumps me sometimes:)

I'm not balling but still wiping the tears :))